This application is for a sign to be placed on your own/your business' property.
Off-site signs are only allowed for municipalities, schools, or non-profit organizations. If you are pulling a permit for an off-site sign, you must obtain permission from the property owner or authorized agent allowing the placement of the sign on the property and acknowledging that this display period counts towards the maximum number allowed.
Portable Sign Permits are allowed for a maximum of 3 weeks per calendar year, at a fee of $15 per week. THIS FEE MUST BE PAID BEFORE WE ISSUE YOUR PERMIT. Our zoning department will call you to discuss payment options. You can either come into the Township office or pay over the phone (3% fee to use debit/credit cards).
You will also need the Portable Sign Permit sticker to affix to your sign. This sticker can be picked up at the office or we can mail it to you after payment is received.
PORTABLE SIGN, one (1) such sign per lot, subject to the following restrictions. The sign must be an on-site sign except as provided for in this ordinance. The sign shall be set back at least ten (10) feet from the road right-of-way line or from the distance as required in Chapter 24. No electrical cord attached to the sign shall extend more than six (6) feet from the power source to the sign. A display period consists of a maximum of seven (7) consecutive days. One business or establishment cannot give, transfer, or loan its display period or similar rights hereunder to another business or establishment (e.g. this means that one business shall not use another business’s permit time) except to a municipality, school or nonprofit entity. A portable sign can only advertise or relate to a lawful use on the lot where the sign is located (except that a municipality, school, or nonprofit organization may locate a portable sign at a location other than where the use or activity being advertised is located). A separate permit and fee shall be required for each display period and the permit sticker shall be affixed to the sign for the entire display period.
(a) Per parcel (excluding a business center)
1. Only one (1) portable sign can be displayed per lot and shall not exceed thirty-two (32) square feet in area per sign;
2. Such sign shall not be permitted for more than three (3) such display periods per lot during the calendar year;
3. If all display periods for a calendar year have been used up and evidence is submitted to the Township that a new business has commenced on that lot, one (1) additional display period shall be permitted in that calendar year. Such additional sign shall be permitted only during the calendar year in which the business change takes place and must be used only by the new business.
(b) Per business center
1. Only one (1) portable sign may be displayed per lot and shall not exceed thirty-two (32) square feet in area per sign; Georgetown Township Zoning Ordinance – Signs Chapter 25 page 7 Revision date: 4/1/2016
2. Each business center unit or individual business if occupying more than one unit shall not be permitted more than a maximum of three (3) such display periods per calendar year;
3. If all display periods for a calendar year have been used up and evidence is submitted to the Township that a new business has commenced in a unit of a business center, one (1) additional display period shall be permitted in that calendar year for that unit in a business center. Such additional sign shall be permitted only during the calendar year in which the business change takes place and must be used only by the new business.